Saturday, May 14, 2011

MAC - Wk 2 Publishing/Leadership project part 1 of 2: Time to get published

Microsoft Clipart

Some Background

My research evaluates the benefits of implementing web 2.0 technologies into a traditional classroom.  I used Google Docs as a platform to implement the technology and basically compared two 12th grade English classes; where one had access to technology and the other did not.

The Decision: Get Published

I love presenting.  I do it almost every day with 180 High School students. However, I learned early on not to talk the entire day, that is, if I expected to have a voice left.  Student-centered learning? That didn’t come about through some extensive research, no, it came about through the fact that I couldn’t talk all day!  Now, back to the issue at hand.  As much as I love presenting to audiences, publishing my research seems to have more advantages.  Speaking might give me a willing audience and they might very well glean a lot from my presentation, however, being published seems to have a longer effect.  Before the internet, I would not have thought this.  Being published in some paperback magazine, later to be tossed or archived in some University basement would have the same, limiting effect.  Because of search engines like Google and EBSCO, I feel that my research can be easily found and accessed.  My research can also be listed with similar research, which makes my piece a contribution to the greater understanding of technology and its effect in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment